The mission of the Juntos program is to help Latino students achieve high school graduation and attend higher education.
What is Juntos?
Juntos (pronounced “Who-n-toes”) means “Together” in Spanish and works to unite community partners to provide Latino 8-12th grade students and their parents with knowledge, skills, and resources to prevent youth from dropping out and to encourage families to work together to gain access to college. Research shows that Latino youth are at greatest risk for dropping out of school between the 9th and 10th grades. The Juntos program reduces this risk by bringing together cohorts of 8th-grade youth to support each other for three to five years as they enter high school and prepare together for higher education. The multifaceted partnerships between Extension’s 4-H and FCS agents, school and college administrators and staff, and other community volunteers are what makes the Juntos program a sustainable success in many communities across the U.S.
Our Four Components
The Juntos program is an intensive long-term program made up of four components:
- Juntos Family Engagement via a five-week workshop series and other family nights and family events
- Juntos 4-H Clubs with a focus on tutoring, public speaking, life skills, and community service
- Monthly One-On-One Success Coaching and/or Mentoring by an adult who monitors academic progress and coaches them to achieve their academic goals
- Summer Programming that includes the Juntos Summer Academy, which is a week-long experience at NC State University, and other local 4-H summer programs
- Increase family engagement that leads to students’ educational success
- Increase the sense of belonging among Latino students and families in their schools and communities
- Increase Latino student success by improving student attendance and grades, and achieving high school graduation
- Increase the percentage of Latino students attending higher education
Quotes from Parents
“I feel better able to find information to help my child get to college.”
“What I liked most from the Juntos sessions was learning how things are different from the educational system in our countries.”
Quotes from Youth
“Juntos has helped me a lot, I have learned to be a better leader and it kept me motivated for what I want for my future and to never give up on myself.”
“I learned that going to college is possible if we’re committed to it. It makes me feel proud to be Latina.”
“I can be anything I want to be in life. I just have to believe in myself and work to do it.”